Thursday, June 17, 2010

Quitting the Poison

If you know me or know my mom or siblings, you know that we drink a lot. It makes me think of my KA Koozie quote "We may drink a lot, but at least we drink a lot". Now to be clear, in my family I do not mean we are drunks and drink a lot of alcohol (although we do drink on occasion), I mean we drink a lot of fluids all the time. Also to be clear the KA Koozie quote specifically refers to drinking alcohol.

I always need something to drink. Every Sunday on our way to Church, I stop to get a drink from the gas station. Before we go places, I plan where to get a drink or get a roadie (Again not an alcoholic Roadie). My sister always has a big gulp-like cup with her and my mom always carries a large water bottle.

In college drinking was also a big part of life (even the non-alcoholic drinking). We had Snapple machines in the Dorms and I would just destroy them. My flavor was always the first to run out.

Now that I am in the real world, I don't drink Snapple (too expensive) but I do drink cokes. I drink so much that I can't have cokes in the house (they will be gone too quickly and we wouldn't have money for diapers if we always kept it stocked). Everyone knows that I drink a lot that even my in-laws make sure that they have cokes for me at their house. (Thanks MEEEEM)

What is awesome is that my office keeps two large sub-zero frigs filled with different kinds of Cokes (DP, Sprite, Diet Coke, Sprite Zero, Diet DP plus others). So now I drink tons of cokes a day (Sprite Zero and Diet DP to be exact). Everyone tells me they are bad for me, but I drink them anyways.

A month ago, Sprite came out with a promotion to collect green tabs and submit them to Sprite and they would donate 10 cents to habitat for Humanity. So I started keeping my tabs to send off. (note I never sent them off) What I didn't realize is that once I started to save the tabs, I was able to see and count how many drinks I had in a day (at least at work). I average 6-7 a day.


Here is a pic of about a month worth of tabs.

For Lent I gave up Candy (we have a drawer filled with Candy at work) and Diet DP. I switched to Sprite Zero during that time. Well Lisa has been bugging me about my Coke habit (Pop Habit for midwesterners) and I think I am going to go cold turkey.

For the last two days I have not had a Coke or Candy from the drawer while at work. It is going to be tough, but I guess water with Crystal Lite will have to do.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap Colin!! That IS so bad for you!! I used to be obsessed with Diet Coke, but even then I only had 2 a day. Cold turkey is the way to go. You'll have crazy-bad withdrawal headaches for about 3 weeks and will be really cranky (emphasis on really), but it'll pass. Now I only allow myself 1 Diet Coke every 2 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete