Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Biggest Loser


Lisa and I are big fans of the biggest loser on NBC. We pretty much watch it religiously. Actually more than religiously since we miss church, but never miss the show (thanks tivo). Well Constellation's Houston office does a biggest loser competition every year to help people get back into shape for spring. Being a fan of the show and being a little portlier than last year, I signed up. My boss rigged the teams to add Burns and I to his team because he thought he could force us to lose weight. Our team "Realized Losses" was ready to take on the competition for 75 days.

Fast forward 68 days . . . Leading up to the second to last weigh in, I was in second place for the guys, but I asked the Admin in charge of the weights to roll my weight (use my old weighin weight), so the first place guy didnt know how close I was to him. (I was within 1%, but he thought he had a more than 4% lead). The night before the weighin everyone does crazy stuff to try to lose weight. (For example one guy lost 14 lbs in the last two days by fasting, not drinking water and going to the Sauna. His total weight loss was only 15 lbs overall including the 14.) My goal was for the 1st place guy to take it easy the final night since he thought he had it in the bag.

At the final weighin I had dropped about 7 lbs of water weight for a total of 27 lbs and won by over 1.5%. Everyone was surprised since I "came out of no-where" to win. the organizer even came by to make sure I hadnt done anything drastic in the last week to drop a bunch of wieght.

I was the Male biggest loser with 13% weight loss. Now you may ask "Colin, after torturing yourself for 75 days, what did you get as a prize?" Well this unfortunately was a team competition and my team failed me miserably. My boss (who as you remember rigged the teams for Burns and I to be on his team) only lost .8 lbs for the competition. To make things worse, he cut 5 lbs in the last day to actually record the .8 lb loss instead of a 4 lb gain. Clearly he didnt understand the concept of the game since he said the weight gain was muscle. Instead of getting $250 bucks, I lost my entry fee ($50) and got a Constellation branded duffle bag as the individual winner on the last day I was a Constellation employee (the next day we became Macquarie Employees).

By the end of the day, I had gained the 7 lbs of water back, but I have only gained 1 lb (excluding the water weight) since the competition ended.

btw, Tara on the show is a beast. She has won 11 or 12 of the 16 physical competitions on the show.

*picture care of NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment