Friday, April 24, 2009

What is up with the Library?


I don't want to get into my take on the government and how it spends (wastes) our tax dollars, but the library in Houston upsets me. A few weeks back I was riding the bus a lot and wanted something to read. I found a book online that looked interesting and wanted to buy it. Lisa said it was too expensive and I should try to find it at the library. Well she called the Harris County public library and they didn't have it. They failed at their only purpose of existence. I assumed it was normal that the harris County public library didnt have it because it is an obscure book. I did find that the Rice library had it (a private library).

Since I am no longer a Rice student, I couldnt check it out, but my friend Will is and he got it for me. After 4 months of not returning it and getting hounded by him to return the book because he was tired of renewing the book, I decided that it was good enough to buy to keep as reference. So I go online and find a used one in Indiana for 50% off. I pull the trigger and wait the 10 days for it to arrive.

Well I get the book from Indiana and find out it is a used Library book . . . from the Harris County public Library.

Why is Houston's public library system selling their books? Why do I have to pay money to some random seller in Indiana to get my local public library book and cant just check it out?

Just another example of a public institution that fails to do its job.

1 comment:

  1. My sister also bought a book online- brand new, just released- and it was a stolen library book. I have no idea if she did the right thing and send it back. I just thought I would share her story.

    ReplyDelete