Friday, June 26, 2009

Now is not a good time to plant . . .

BEFORE

Last weekend, Lisa some how manipulated me into redoing our front lawn. You know, "keeping up with the Joneses". Our neighbors updated their lawn professionally last year and our newest neighbors are in the process. Lisa has been discussing it with them, and I think it got her thinking that our yard (bushes etc) needed to be updated.

Here is a quote from my neighbor a couple week before to give little background on our take of yard work and maintenance. "Your lawn looks like the Sahara . . .I think you might get cited by the fire department for creating a hazard" Needless to say we don't have a sprinkler system and we don't do much for it other than have a service mow it occasionally.

Back to the point, Lisa has me working all day Saturday in the heat of the day without a cloud in the sky. She told me what to dig up and what to plant, but she had to do it from select angles so that she could stay in the shade to avoid the heat. I on the other hand was cooking in the sun. For those of you that are not currently in Houston, we have been setting heat records the last few days with 2 days ago hitting 104 (hottest day in June ever for Houston).

I almost finished the whole thing in one day except that we needed to buy more plants so I finished up the next morning. The yard looks pretty good now. I think Lisa is no longer embarrassed with our yard. Later that evening we ran into our Neighbor Ann (an empty nester that has an immaculate lawn). We proudly tell her about all the work we did like we did something special, and she says

"Now is not a good time to plant"

AFTER




No comments:

Post a Comment