Thursday, October 29, 2009

How to waste $20

Well the other night Lisa, BC and I went to the grocery store to pick up some supplies. On our way home, we stopped at Spec's to pick up some more supplies. Lisa being a fan of the store wanted to go in while I waited in the car with the boy.(Edited by Lisa...What who says I like Spec's I've never been there before I just didn't want Colin to take even longer than I did. And by the way we were looking for some hard to find wine, that's why it took 20 mins. not 30 like Colin states below.) Well being the cash conscious consumer and earth friendly, I turned the engine off while we waited. I left the radio on and AC fan on so that we weren't bored and didn't suffocate.

I started surfing the web on my phone and started reading WSJ articles. A long time passed before Lisa got back. I was distracted so I didn't notice how long she had been. So I went to start the car and it wouldn't turn. I guess I had wasted all the juice in the battery (which now I need to get the battery and alternator checked).

A guy quickly came over to help jump the vehicle. He got another patron to bring his car over and assisted me with the process of getting the car jumped. After the car started and we closed the hood, I thanked the guy. He then informed me that he had been laid off and wanted to know if I could help him out. I felt I should give him some money for one, he was very polite and two he helped me out. So I went to look in my wallet and all I had was a $20. I didn't really want to give him a $20, but it was all I had, so I did.

After the fact I thought this whole thing was kind of a bad idea since the guy was hanging out in front of Spec's so giving him money probably didn't help him out in the long run. On the other hand, he did come help and provided a service.(I said it was a bad idea especially since the guy went over to a nearby trash can where he was keeping his bags did something and then went back into the liquor store.)

So in summary, I saved maybe 50 cents on gas by turning the car off for 30 minutes (20 mins.) and all it cost me was $20 and much deserved ridicule from the wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment