Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Best/Worst Dad Moment

Lisa, BC and I all went to the St. John's Kinkaid Football game on Friday night (BC's second football game and second SJS/KHS game). We were having trouble getting into the game since we did not have enough cash (I wasted it on a bum a few nights before). So I called Vik to borrow $5 bucks to get in. To make a long story short we were able to get into the game with out paying ($24) so for the week I am net +$4.

But that is not the point of this blog post. During the game there was an event that made me the best/worst dad at the same time (I will admit that the "best" part is only my opinion and Lisa does not agree). As we were sitting in the bleachers watching the game, Lisa got up to go get the boy some milk. He started to follow her along the bleacher. I was watching him. He stumbled and fell on his butt, got up and was fine. Then he stumbled backwards on the bleacher step below him and started to fall on the concrete one step below. As he was falling I was flying through the air to catch him (it was very Curt-esque**) and the people closest to him reached out as well. I caught him on his belt loop just as his forehead kissed the concrete below. I traveled twice as far as anyone else and was the only one that caught him (that was the "best" part) and no one else came close.

When I pulled him up he had a slight red mark on his forehead and Lisa took him to console him while berating me for letting him fall.( Edited again by Lisa, I asked Colin why he let him get out of reach and he replied " I thought he was a big boy"... Come on he is 1 1/2 years old. Anyways.)Now I don't know where she was, but she saw it happen but did not move as fast as me to catch him. So I was the worst dad for letting him fall and not being safer, but I reacted pretty fast to stop him from getting seriously hurt. When it comes down to it, he is a boy and boys fall get hurt and get back up again.


**For those of you that do not know Curt, he is my brother in law that has three children. Lisa and I have witnessed on multiple occasions him instantly diving into a pool or launching across the room to save one of his children from injury and/or drowning. One event occurred so fast at Lakewood that the lifeguard had no idea what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment